From 1953 to the end of last century, a quaint chapel stood between the Brothers’ House and ‘A’ block. Boys were encouraged to visit it on their arrival at school each day and bags could regularly be heard thudding to the step outside the chapel as the ringing of the first school bell of the day neared. While the college can be rightly proud of the new (in several cases, award-winning) buildings that now stand in the grounds, the lack of a spiritual centre for the school is acknowledged by Headmaster Kieran Fuohy as a project of some priority.
He wants ‘a chapel building capable of seating 600 people with an identity evoking noble simplicity, intrinsically excellent art, emphasizing a strong external visual linkage to the city of Auckland and ease of connection to the college community. Above all, a place of Faith.’
The Old Boys’ Association has committed itself to playing a part in fund-raising for the new chapel. We feel it is only appropriate that we help ‘build’ the rock that will not only be used by future generations of St. Peter’s boys to build their faith but will also be a focal point for many of the religious activities at the college.
At the Jubilee mix and mingle in 2014, the Old Boys’ Association presented $10,000 to the St. Peter’s Foundation to go towards the fundraising effort.
In 2015, at the Old Boys of Distinction dinner, the Association presented a cheque of $20,000 which was raised through the Chapel Raffle.